What don’t you want to see from Calle Halfvarsson this season?
– I don’t want to see a lot of hassle and whining and fussing with my stomach and all the hassle that usually comes in the package during the winter. That’s it, I don’t want to stand there again and whine at a championship that everything is going against me.
Are you done whining?
– I think yes. There must be some measure of my whining.
But did you start the competitive season with a setback, an injury during a roller ski race?
– I had a pain in one hand and I must have broken. Two days later it was good, there was nothing to worry about.
A year ago you said you could still be the best skier in the world, do you still think so?
– I am quite convinced of that, otherwise I would not continue.
What do you need to improve?
– I have to stay healthy so that I can do the training I need and not exceed the limit if I stay healthy.
What can go wrong?
– I must not be naive and drive too hard for me to go down to the basement.
When were you at your best?
– The best results were probably a few years ago, it was probably 2017 that I had the best results, it starts to be a few years ago. After that it was a few gloomy years.
The big championships are not your championships?
– The 2018 Olympics in Pyeongchang were not good. The WC at Seefeld 2019 probably went well again, I finished with a sixth place but it’s still not good. I need to fight.
Did you continue to train a lot of strength?
– No, I hardly did weight training this summer.
What did you drive then?
– I put more strength on the chest, heavy weights that I completely ignored.
What do you want to see for the results this season?
– I’m not satisfied with a top 10 or a top 15. I want higher.
If you don’t get close to the podium, what happens?
– If I was to start doing good races but I think I won’t do better than ten, then I think that’s pretty close to the end.
How important is the opening of the season in Gällivare?
– Not super important. I don’t feel the need to win at Gällivare but I will do my best and I will fight for it.
Are you guaranteed to be able to go to Ruka?
– Yes, but I will not go to Ruka if I feel that I have nothing to do there.
When do you want the shape to appear?
– It is in January and February that you should be at your best, there is a little left.
Beijing Olympic Games in February, want to compete at an altitude of 1,600 meters?
– I’ve never been to Beijing but the high altitude shouldn’t be a problem as long as I have the days I need to acclimatize to the high altitude. I usually don’t get bad answers there.
You are 32 and made your World Cup debut in 2009, how long can you fight?
– I don’t see any issues with age yet, it’s probably more how long I can be without results, that’s probably where I can take it.
“Total travelaholic. Subtly charming zombie geek. Friend of animals everywhere. Music buff. Explorer. Tv junkie.”